PreTrial Intervention Program (PTIP)
PreTrial Intervention Program (PTIP) is for defendants in Hartselle Municipal Court faced with a charge that, if convicted, could have a major negative impact on their future.
If eligible, a requirement of the program is the defendant shall enter a plea of guilty to their charge, the Judge accepts the plea, but withholds adjudication for the time the defendant is active in the program.
The defendant will be placed on an administrative docket for a set period of time and will be required to complete an evaluation, classes, counseling, treatment, drug/alcohol testing, community service or a combination of conditions, pay court costs and fees in the terms/conditions of the PTIP agreement.
Successful completion of the program will enable the charge to be dismissed.
If the defendant fails the program, the guilty plea is then adjudicated, and the defendant will serve the sentence set out with the conviction.
Eligibility Requirements: Any person charged with a crime in Hartselle Municipal Court that qualifies for diversion from prosecution may apply for PTIP under the following conditions:
- Applicant may only apply for specified charges filed in Hartselle Municipal Court.
- Applicant must be 18 years or older at the time of offense(s).
- Applicant cannot possess a Commercial Driver License (CDL).
- Applicant is a first-time offender or has minimal criminal history.
- Applicant is unlikely to be involved in further criminal activity.
- Applicant will likely respond to rehabilitative treatment.
- Applicant does not have any other outstanding charges.
- Applicant must admit guilt.
- Justice is served by enrollment in the Diversion Program.
- Applicant poses no substantial threat to the safety or well-being to the public and community.
- Applicant must comply with all terms of the PTIP application.
Upon approval by the Prosecutor to apply for PTIP: The application must be fully completed and turned in to the Hartselle Municipal Court Clerk’s office in a timely manner. Failure to do so will result in denial of entry into PTIP.
Carefully read and truthfully complete all information on the application. Write NA in blanks that do not apply to you. Make sure you and your attorney initial, sign and date in all designated spaces. Section VIII of the application must be notarized. Knowingly providing false information on the application will result in denial of entry into PTIP.
Print the application here: Hartselle PTIP Application
Bring your completed, signed and notarized application to the Hartselle Municipal Court Clerk’s office for processing at:
Hartselle Municipal Building 611 Chestnut St NW Hartselle, AL 35640 Phone: 256-773-2703
After review, you and/or your attorney will be notified of acceptance or denial into PTIP. If accepted, an appointment will be set to review the Terms, Conditions and Agreement.