The Permitting staff for the City of Hartselle ensures that all permits are issued correctly and in a timely manner. We serve as a liaison for everyone in the Building Department and direct questions, comments, and concerns to the appropriate individual.
Call (256) 773-0188 to talk with the Building Department.
Other responsibilities include:
- Accepts and processes construction plans for departmental reviews
- Accepts and enters inspection requests
- Answers general questions about permits and at what point one is required
- Works closely with the Planning Department, Fire Department, Hartselle Utilities, and Joe Wheeler for plan review approvals & rejections
- Verifies license requirements needed for each permit issued
- Issues Certificates of Occupancy on residential and commercial structures
Permits are required for:
- All new single family structures
- New commercial structures
- Additions to any structure (e.g., sun-rooms, attached & detached garages, etc.)
- New storage buildings over 200 square feet
- Most alterations including vinyl siding, window replacement, etc., require permits; a permit is not required for things such as interior painting and replacing carpet.
- All electrical, plumbing, mechanical and gas work must be permitted.
- Signs must be permitted.