Position: ACCOUNTING TECHNICIAN
Starting Pay: $15.04/Hour
- Applicants must have a High School Diploma or GED.
- Equivalent of two years of college or specialized vocational training in accounting, finance or closely related field or five years of work experience in accounting.
- Three years of experience in computerized accounting systems and procedures along with experience with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Applicant must be bondable and have a strong work history of dependability and performance.
Benefits: Health/Dental/Life Insurance,
State Retirement, Vacation/Sick leave and Paid Holidays.
An application may be obtained at: Hartselle City Hall 200 Sparkman St. NW Hartselle, AL 35640, Monday–Friday 7:30AM-4:30PM or At www.hartselle.org under Jobs.
Applications must be received by December 30, 2020 at 4:00 pm.
The City of Hartselle is an Equal Opportunity Employer
This position is responsible for performing a variety of complex accounting duties, involving preparing and maintaining regular and specialized financial reports for the City of Hartselle, processing Accounts Payable, reconciling Fixed Assets and coordinating insurance reconciliation.
- Assigns and processes accounts payable transactions based on documentation, invoices, and/or statements to ensure timely payment of debts for all departments. Organizes invoices and purchase orders for payment; checks invoices and purchase orders for proper coding, signatures and descriptions. Prepares checks; attaches to invoices; gives to Mayor and City Controller for signatures; prepares checks for mailing; files A/P invoices and reports.
- Assists in the preparation of purchase requisitions for the Administration Department; reviews and verifies coding, signatures and descriptions.
- Maintains appropriate files of paid invoices and receivables according to accepted office procedures. Closes out files at fiscal year-end and prepares new files for beginning fiscal year.
- Gathers and maintains information on sub-contractors to prepare annual 1099’s to include verifying W-9’s and Worker’s Comp Insurance when necessary. Prepares 1099 forms to send to IRS and sub-contractors.
- Prepares daily bank deposits; including proper receipting documentation.
- Receives and processes monies for special revenue funds and accounts and special departmental accounts.
- Assigns and processes account transactions based on appropriate documentation.
- Reconciles assigned bank statements, accounts and appropriate balances for all City bank accounts. Verifies accuracy and completeness of general ledger revenue and expenditure accounts. Researches reconciliation discrepancies and reports findings.
- Completes accounting batches, with all documentation to forward to City-Clerk/Controller on a timely basis for updating.
- Assists with, the preparation of general and specialized trial balances, financial statements, schedules, and special exhibits, and participates in year-end closing.
- Assists with, the preparation of the annual budget figures and documents; the city’s budget; preparation of information and documentation for auditors; preparing and issuing monthly financial reports to the Mayor and City Council.
- Works with auditors to provide the requested information/reports to prepare the City’s annual audit.
- Assists with grants, implementing accounting requirements; creating and maintaining grant files and records; gathering financial data and preparing financial reports for grants.
- Maintains records of fixed assets including vehicles.
- Maintains Municipal fleet information, obtaining necessary documentation and required tags and titles for all city vehicles.
- Ensures that all municipal property is properly insured: reconciles list of fixed assets to insured items list – adding or removing items as needed.
- Responds to a variety of departmental and public requests for information relative to assigned function; provides requested information or services when authorized or refers to appropriate individuals for responses.
- Cross-trains with the Accounting/Payroll Technician and serves as their main backup and cross-trains in other departmental duties.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). To include knowledge of laws, rules, guidelines, and regulations applicable to governmental accounting and auditing procedures.
- Knowledge of Accounting Software systems and the ability to learn the City Accounting Software system.
- Knowledge of payroll accounting practices and procedures.
- Skill in applying fundamental accounting principles to the maintenance of accounts, records and statements.
- Skill in the operation of standard office equipment and computers to include basic spreadsheet, database and work processing applications.
- Skill in completing and tabulating statistical data and preparing reports and summaries.
- Skill in communicating effectively, both orally and in writing; to include proper use of standard business English, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Skill in consistently demonstrating a high level of judgement and discretion required for maintaining confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to maintain a system of adequate record keeping.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
The City Clerk – Controller assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include department policies and procedures. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
The work consists of related duties connected to performing accounts payable, payroll processing, bank reconciliation and general ledger functions for the City of Hartselle. The large number of checks and invoices to be processed contributes to the complexity of the position.
SCOPE AND EFFECT:
The purpose of this position is to perform accounts payable, bank reconciliation and general ledger functions and payroll processing as needed for the City of Hartselle. Successful performance helps ensure the efficient payment of invoices and employee’s payroll.
Contacts are typically with co-workers, vendors, bank employees, other city employees, elected officials, and the general public.
PURPOSE OF CONTACTS: Contacts are typically to give or exchange information and to provide services.
The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, walking, bending, or crouching. The employee occasionally lifts light objects. The employee may be required to work on a computer for extended periods of time and to communicate verbally and orally with the public. The employee must have a full range of motion in order to operate office equipment and move boxes of records independently and in a timely manner.
The work is typically performed in an office, library, computer room, stockroom, or warehouse where the employee may be exposed to dust, dirt, or grease. The work requires long and flexible work hours and occasional travel to attend seminars, workshops, etc. The job may require outside work for inventory of certain fixed assets.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: None.
- Requires a high school diploma or GED, and the equivalent of two years of college or specialized vocational training in accounting, finance, or closely related field and/or five years of work experience in accounting.
- Requires at least three years of experience in computerized accounting systems and procedures along with Microsoft Word and Excel